What is a Smart Data Connector?
The Smart Data Connector is an app that performs complex calculations on data and passes the results to the existing infrastructure. The computations can be arbitrarily complex and go far beyond the capabilities of standard data preparation and ETL tools.
The objective is to automatically assign a location to landscape photos without GPS data and afterwards display the coordinates on a map. Photos taken by smartphones usually contain GPS data, but what about photos taken by an older camera? It is possible to determine a location only from the pixels of a photo - by using a neural network trained with 100 million GPS tagged photos.
Steps of the Smart Data Connector:
- The image is loaded and resized.
- The location is determined only from the pixels with a neural network which has been trained on 100 million photos with stored GPS information.
- Determine the nearest country.
- Determine the nearest city.
- Longitude and latitude formatting for visualisation, in this case with Tableau.
- Passing the result to the infrastructure.
The Generated Data:
Of course, the method has some limitations. Nevertheless, the last picture was placed surprisingly accurate as the image was only taken a few kilometres away form the calculated coordinates. Would you have been better in guessing the locations?
Map Made With Tableau:
This example shows how a smart connector which assigns coordinates to landscape images. However, a smart connector can do much more, and we individually develop such solutions to meet your requirements.